Sunday, June 29, 2008

Update 30 June 2008

Florida Atlantic University has given me a non-tenured contract as a Visiting Assistant Professor. My colleagues are not happy with this because they would like to keep me at FAU for good. The state legislature has, however, cut funding to the point that there is not enough money to hire a tenured professor. This is unfortunate, indeed, but it is the reality of our times.
I am working on a paper concerning teaching deep-culture in the Second Language classroom. I am also turning my attention to the acquisition of vocabulary. The main question in vocabualry acquisition: Should teaching vocabulary of a language such as Chinese, German, Islandic, Esperanto, i.e. languages that rely heavily on compounding, derivation, and meaning extensions to increase vocabulary, and teaching vocabulary of a language such as English, that relies heavily on loan words, be the same? Thinking in a Venn diagram, what are the similarities and what are the differences?